A youth has been charged with assault after a girl was allegedly stabbed at Greymouth High School last week.
Police were called to a Greymouth School on Wednesday, July 23.
“Police were called to the school after the youth allegedly assaulted another student,” a police spokesperson said.
The victim sustained injury and sought medical treatment, said police.
The youth is scheduled to reappear in Greymouth Youth Court on August 6.
The Press obtained a statement by the girl’s parents, saying it had been an “incredibly hard” time since the incident.
“Our daughter is recovering well at home after two days in hospital with an injury to her back,” they said.
The parents wanted to thank Nikau Hospital, Greymouth High School and the community for the care and support they received.
The incident occurred before classes began, said Greymouth High School Principal Samantha Mortimer and the school’s board chair Lachlan Bull.
“The school acted promptly and referred the matter to police,” said Mortimer and Bull.
They said the safety and well-being of students and staff remains their highest priority.
“Support is being provided to the students and whānau directly involved, as well as to any others who may need it,” said Mortimer and Bull.
“As the matter is now before the Youth Court, the school will not be commenting further at this time,” said the pair.